top of page

Type of Assistance

Regular LIHEAP Assistance is based on applications that are taken during intake periods.  The intake periods are as follows;  October, November-January, February-April, May- July, and August-September. The applications are then processed and given points based on each household's needs. Households are given points for poverty level, disability, children under 6, veterans, and elderly. Depending on the amount of funding we have at the time of payments each quarter, the households with the highest points will be served first. A household may be placed on the waiting list and may be served later in the fiscal year.

An approved application is not a guarantee of service; it is all dependent on the funding available.

Emergency LIHEAP Assistance is reserved for families that are in crisis and have a cut off notice or have already been cut off. The household must have a member that is under the age of 6, disabled, or over the age of 60. If none of these apply, a household that has experienced an uncontrollable/unexpected loss of financial resources due to no fault of their own also qualify for crisis assistance. This could mean that the household wage earner has died or left the home, a significant loss of work hours, loss of employment, or major household expense. Appropriate documentation is required for any of these circumstances. If eligible for crisis assistance, the applicant would receive a voucher to be given to their energy supplier the same day as service.

What you need to apply for assistance

1)  Completed 2022 Application. Do not leave any area blank and  make sure to sign and date the back.

2)  Social security numbers for everyone in the house over a year old.  

  • We can accept a social security card or a statement from the Social Security Administration with the number on it.

  • If you have a current food stamp case, we can get your numbers off of the DHS system.

  • Government issued ID 

3)  Gross income proof for everyone in the house.  We CANNOT use bank statements to prove any income except Social Security or SSI.

  • If anyone over the age of 18 is employed, we must have copies of the last 30 days of check stubs.

  • If there is anyone in the house over the age of 18 with no income, they must be listed on this zero income form.

  • If anyone in the house is self-employed, this form needs to be filled out.

4)  ​If you live in public housing and receive a utility allowance or rent  reduction to help offset utility costs, you will need to get this form filled out  by your housing authority.

5)  If anyone in the home is a veteran or active military member, please  provide proof in the form of a military ID, VIC card, or DD214 form.

6)  A 12 month printout from your electric and/or natural gas energy supplier  or a printout from a home delivered energy supplier showing usage  charges for the last 12 months.  If you have lived at your address for less  than 12 months you can provide information for the amount of time you  have lived there.

  • If your account is in someone else's name, we will need a heat release.

You can submit your application and all required documents by mail, fax, or email. Go to the Contact Us page for addresses and fax numbers.

bottom of page